Monday, June 05, 2006

More on SethGate

Seth's decision to turn his back on his community is continuing to bite him.

First, here's a list of the blogs commenting on his refusal to have comments, and his explanation that he doesn't have time to go around correcting our stupidity.

Second, a huge kudo to Joe Jaffe for stepping up to the plate and calling Seth out on this one. I'd bet dollars to donuts that no other A-Lister will dare criticize Seth on this. My guess is most of them will either remain curiously silent, or pat Seth on the back for hiting the mute button on his readers.

Third, why the hell am I giving Seth such a hard time? It's true, I'm not a big fan of slamming another blogger, simply because it really serves no purpose. But I am also ALL about EMBRACING and JOINING your community.

Seth did the exact opposite on Saturday. In fact, he basically said that not only was he not going to allow his community to communicate with him, but that the REASON why he wasn't going to join his community, was that he didn't have time to go around correcting them.

Ie, he is daddy, and we are the silly kids that run around breaking everything and soiling our diapers. And he's in no mood to clean up after us.

Whatever. It still boggles my mind that a supposed 'marketing expert' would alienate his community by turning on comments, then NOTING the OUTSTANDING response to him doing so, then telling his community that if they want to leave comments, go to another blog and do it.

Seth my advice is to start appreciating your community....while you still have one.

5 comments:

Kim Klaver said...

Twill be interesting to see if there's any effect on the traffic to Seth's blog over the next few months...

J.D. said...

My thing is, how the heck do you know if you're getting your message across without comments?

To me it just screams "I know more than all of you do, so hush and listen to what I have to say!"

Sorry, no sale. And if he's that bad at marketing his BLOG, I seriously question how he got this "master marketer" thing down.

Anonymous said...

Seth's got 1000+ bloggers out there doing Trackback's every time he posts, hoping for some spill-off of all his traffic, or hoping he'll link to them some day and send their traffic thru the roof.

You can forget him losing any sleep or readers. They all know he doesn't allow comments and they don't care.

He chooses to force you to write a post of your own, if you feel strongly enough about a situation and that's not all bad, nor is it good.

I'd rather comment on some of his posts, than do a whole post of my own, but the arguments that would ensue from the Sethites would take up my week and kill my productivity on our 14 plus blog network that will be growing again this week.

I'm not a big fan of blogs without comments, but all I can do to them to show my disapproval is to boycott them.

Mack Collier said...

"Actually, I dont really see the upset. His post is pretty clear about his reasons, not condescending,"

Seth said: "First, I feel compelled to clarify or to answer every objection or to point out every flaw in reasoning."

Ie, you guys are going to say something stupid, and I don't have time to correct all of you. Sounds condescending to me.

J.D. said...

LOL, it seems like Seth Sycophants are also pouring out of the woodwork to defend their messiah, in hopes of meriting his grace and attaining the nirvana of getting a link from him.

I don't care what anyone says. He's not a marketing genius if this is the way he works, and I wouldn't waste one more second on his blabbering.