Sunday, April 12, 2009

OMBC recap; Good sessions, good people and good food!


I was lucky enough to spend a few days last week in Philadelphia, visiting the city for the first time. Primarily, I was there to lead a session on online community building for Beth Harte and Li Evans' Online Media Bootcamp. Shashi has a quick recap post on my session.

This was the first OMBC, and I have to say for a first-time event, it was very well-run. Everything moved very smoothly, and there weren't any technical issues (Read - Wifi was solid and there were plenty of power outlets!). Instead of having a break between each session, there was one in the morning and one in the evening, and I think this was perfect for a smaller event.

The sessions covered the range of online marketing. Li covered Social Media Fundamentals, Shashi told you how to Sell Social Media to Your Boss, Valeria covered Corporate Blogging, Beth educated attendees on PR 2.0, and I closed with my session on Building Community Online. And the day closed for attendees with homework, they had to apply what they had learned to (in 30 mins) create a company AND an online marketing plan for that company. Then they had to present their plan via Powerpoint to the speakers, who voted on each. The winning group took home Barnes and Noble giftcards, and a pair of marketing/social media books were given away after each session. I think the attendees really got a lot out of the event, in fact many seemed to be pleasantly surprised with what they took home.

And then there's the food. Anyone that's been with me at an event knows I am probably the pickiest eater alive. But The Park Ridge hotel and conference center went all out. They had a great breakfast and lunch set up for us, and had the BEST snack food of any event I've ever been to. Chocolate fondue, need I say more? And the hotel itself was great. The staff was courteous and went out of their way to be helpful. Beth and Li made the perfect choice in hosting OMBC there.

Overall, I think this was a wonderful event in a wonderful location. It seems the attendees agreed, as initial feedback seems to be very positive. Beth and Li are considering having a second OMBC in the fall, and you should definitely try to make it if they do!

No comments: