Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A good example of advertising enhancing a blog

I've discussed blog monetization and advertising here before, and I think it's difficult to find a good balance between providing income for the blogger, and also giving value to the reader. But I think Chris at Movie Marketing Madness has found a way to put advertising on his blog that isn't really obtrusive, and would probably provide value to his intended audience.

I took the screenshot above this morning, but notice that the two ads you immediately see are the banner across the top, and the one at the top of the sidebar. Both are movie-related and offer readers the chance to get showtimes and order tickets. One thing I do wish is that the ad for Hitman would allow you to play the trailer right on MMM if you want to, without being taken to the movie's website.

But if you're a regular reader of MMM, ads featuring information about new releases is closer to relevant content than it is intrusive advertising. Which is pretty tough to do on a blog, and this is a great example of a setup that seems to be working for both the blogger and their audience.

Tags:,

Email Me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vote of encouragement, Mack. I wrestle with the idea of ads on MMM almost daily since I find myself between two worlds. On the one hand, most movie blogs have really obnoxious ads. On the other, most marketing blogs don't have any ads whatsoever. So finding the balance has been tough and it's nice to hear that someone thinks I succeeded.

Mack Collier said...

Yep I think you have. This is exactly why I haven't added ads here, because I can't find a way to do so that wouldn't do anything but get in the reader's way.